Well Planning & Engineering
Our Well Engineering services include but not limited to field development studies, design and plan well construction, independent well engineering, and well integrity review, well design and planning, perform risk assessments, drilling engineering and optimisation, assisting clients with Well Operation Management Plan (WOMP) and Well Integrity Management Plan (WIMP) from concept selection to detailed engineering design for all types of exploration, production, vertical, horizontal, deviated, multilateral, depleted, HPHT wells; onshore or offshore; shallow or deep water or platform.
Drill Insight well planning, and design workflow process is in line with well management system designed to meet well objectives. Thereby assist operators with Well Operations Management Plan (WOMP) based on performance standards against well acceptance criteria.
As Well Planning is an iterative process, Drill Insight multidisciplinary team, comprise of geologists, reservoir engineers, well and drilling engineer having over 200 years of cumulative experience, seamlessly aligned with client’s team to understand & integrate corporate philosophies and objective, review available field evaluation data to develop clear communication with all stakeholders (client, partners, third party service companies).
We arrange workshops, collect relevant material; Offset and location-specific well data, sub-surface data requirements, rig data, organizational requirements to develop Well Management Plan as per PGER Resource Management & Admin Regulation 2011.
Our drilling engineers assist the operator’s drilling team to select kick-off location, to design optimum well path to satisfy drilling constraints, well prognosis for a lithologic column, to determine pore pressure and fracture gradient pressure, carry out iterations of the surface location and trajectory.
“Drill Insight uses a Thermodynamic-Hydraulic-Mechanical (THM) simulation software to predict realistic fluid flow behaviour and simulate transient pressure & temperature profiles sof well, Hydraulic Analysis, Torque and Drag Analysis, kick modelling.”
Using our drilling management systems, and THM software we assist operators with the following.
- Field Development Plan
- Offset Well Review: Data collection, Setting Technical Limits, Time Depth Curve Projection
- Basis of Design
- Casing setting – Depth Selection
- Hole Geometry Selection: Optimise hole sizes, well profile, sections lengths, casing/liner sizes
- Alternative Concept Selection: Ranked, Risked, Reviewed
- Site Layout
- Preparation of primary cost estimation (AFE)
- Analysis of regulatory approvals
- Derived overall well delivery workflow
“Drill Insight philosophy is to use client’s preferred well engineering software suite along with our in-house transient Thermodynamic-Hydraulic-Mechanical (THM) software with a combination of well engineers & subject matter experts(SME) to optimise the design iterations and delivers comprehensive well design to ensure effective well delivery.”
Typical well design work provided by Drill Insight includes:
- Conceptual Well Design
- Evaluation of Well Design concepts
- Selection of primary Well design (Hole Geometry, casing and liner sizing, Casing depth)
- Preliminary Casing Design:
- Run sensitivities,
- select and summarize casing size, weights, casing shoe depths, no. of casing strings, cement depth and mud weight
- Mud & Cement design (specification)
- Defining of Casing load scenarios
- Defining of Well control scenarios
- Selection: Rig, Services & Materials
- Define Well lifecycle management plan
- Detailed Engineering Design
- Well design & Schematic
- Detailed Casing Design:
- Analyse and run sensitivities for various loads acting on different grades of Casing (or one selected by Operator) with respect to well Lifecyle operations (drilling, stimulation, production, etc) and determine Safety Factors
- Summarize casing and connection type, setting depths, loads and safety factors, selected casing grades
- Tubular Design and Analysis System (TDAS)
- Mud & Cement design (for tendering)
- Drillstring, BHA design and Performance
- Well Test & Completions design
- Bit selection
- Formation evaluation & Direction Drilling Plan
- Final Cost Estimation and Development of AFE
- Development of Well and Drilling Program
- Drill Well on Paper
- Conceptual Directional Drilling Plan
- Well Assurance and Examination Review
- After Action Review
- End of Well Report (lessons learned and Recommendations)
Drill Insight uses a Transient Multiphase Flow Simulation (TMFS) software to deliver the following:
- Fingerprinting simulation- early kick detection: The fingerprints were designed to map the well response (expected pressure trends) to certain operations. Fingerprints included:
- Flowback/drain back volume during connections
- Drilling fluid expansion due to temperature increase
- Effect of drill string rotation on ECD
- Surge/swab pressure to break circulation
- Trip tank fingerprint during connections
- Checking ESD vs. PWD measurements.
The well control manual also gives requirements for backup drilling fluid volume and drilling fluid chemicals needed onboard.
- Kick Tolerance Modeling
- Annular Pressure Build-Up (APB) simulation
- Blowout Contingency Plan – dynamic kill simulation: calculate dynamic kill fluid properties and pump rates.
As a leading provider of integrity, compliance and specialist risk consulting services, we provide confidence that risks are understood and compliant with oil and gas industry standards and regulations.
Well Integrity is an integral part of our well delivery process. Drill Insight provides bespoke engineering solutions to meet the lifecycle of well integrity and risk management at ALARP to facilitate compliance with NOPSEMA regulation 5.09(1) (c).
Our Risk Management Process (AS/NZS ISO 31000:2009) uses DMIRS’ (PGERA67) Act to develop following plans/ documents under DMP Regulatory Framework for Onshore / WA Offshore (Submerged Lands) or NOPSEMA OPGGS Regulation- 2011 for Offshore.
We offer our technical, operational and engineering knowledge and expertise together with our deep knowledge of industry standards and regulations.
- Well Integrity review and Risk Assessment for the entire well lifecycle
- Well Integrity Assurance
- Annulus Operation Integrity Assessment
- What-if Analysis of critical well operation scenarios
- Well to Annulus (& Vice a Versa) Leakage analysis
- Annular Pressure Buildup (APB) Analysis
- Development of Drilling and Well Operation Risk register
- Development of Well Activities & Integrity Management Plan (WIMP)
- Development of Well Operation Management Plan (WOMP)
- Peer Review of Well design & activity program with Well integrity standards and regulation
- Independent Gap analysis on Well Integrity Management Plan
- Assist Operators with developing a plan for Full Lifecycle Well Integrity Assessment and Assurance, and Well Examination
- Assist Operator with developing Safety Management System, Environment Plan, Field Management Plan, Emergency Response Plan
- Well Integrity Review: deviations, test procedures, well integrity envelopes, well integrity monitoring
- Well Test Procedures with respect to NORSOK and NOPSEMA standards
- Update Well Integrity Barrier Diagrams, Well Integrity Envelopes, Well Integrity Monitoring sheet
- What-if Analysis: critical well operation scenario
- Due Diligence
Drill Insight partnered with Chris Dykes to offer independent Well examination services covering the entire life cycle of each well, from its concept design to well construction, into the production operations phase, as part of a technical due diligence assessment, and eventually to well decommissioning and abandonment. Drill Insight provides an independent assessment to verify that wells are being designed, constructed, operated, suspended and abandoned in accordance with the oil & gas industry standards and in compliance with national regulations.
Our well examination support service typically consists of a review of design, delivery and operational plans and programs along with a review of internal systems and processes to ensure they adhered to
- Suitable well control equipment is in place
- The project organization is competent and adequate
- The pressure boundary of the well is controlled
During the well operation phase, our Well Assurance will help to ensure the operator that the well is designed, constructed, operated and maintained in a safe condition and that all risks are thoroughly assessed according to the ALARP principle.
The depth of the well assurance and examination will depend on the criticality of the project and the identified hazards associated with the specific operations
Drill Insight offers drilling engineering services to perform both forensic analysis of historically troubled well as well as the advanced Look-ahead (Pre-Well) analysis using DrillExpect® – tightly coupled Thermodynamic-Hydraulic-Mechanical drilling models, which creates realistic dynamic downhole pressure simulations, plus hole cleaning and temperature evolutions that reveal much of what may happen in the wellbore and our drilling optimisation services use this insight not only to help reduce operational uncertainty and risk but also to optimise drilling parameters and operate safely close to upper and lower limits.
The Offset (Post) Well Analysis is forensic replays (after-action review study) of the historical well where drilling problems occurred using timeseries data of the well. We offer offset well analysis services based in DrillScene® to not only collect the lessons learned but to identify optimisation opportunities for the next well. We perform this analysis by intercepting time-series data to DrillScene® Replay mode to analyse critical/troubled zones/sections of the formation with respect to wellbore integrity, evaluate missed opportunities of optimum drilling.
The Advanced Look-ahead (Pre-Well) analysis is part of Drilling Engineering Services using DrillExpect, which creates realistic dynamic downhole pressure simulations, plus hole cleaning and temperature evolutions that reveal much of what may happen in the wellbore and our drilling optimisation services use this insight not only to help reduce operational uncertainty and risk but also to optimise drilling parameters and operate safely close to upper and lower limits. The unique cutting transport simulation makes it easy to define optimum hole-cleaning parameters. These detailed simulations cover cuttings bed generation and estimated bed height, cutting bed location and movement along the wellbore, local changes to flow patterns across the bed, and cutting bed erosion/removal.
- Fingerprinting: well is circulated at various rates recording BHP and PWD data.
- Look-ahead simulation based on drilling programs to improve drilling performance
- Pre-well Analysis: Pump start-up, optimised hole cleaning, tripping speed, fluid expansion, Torque and Drag Planning Evaluation, Transient Swab and Surge Analysis
- Offset Well Analysis, Post-Well Analysis: Recommendations
- Assist operators with developing KPIs and Hazard Prevention Strategy, optimise drilling parameters and finetune drilling procedures
Drill Insight delivers high-end technical training with the help of Subject Matter Experts as Instructors in the following area;
- Well Engineering
- Well Control
- HPHT & ERD well Planning
- MPD Drilling
We offer following courses as a standard or customised format to meet specific field development need;
- Casing & Tubing Design – Basic
- Casing & Tubing Design – Advanced
- Integrated Well Planning
- Well Design – Special Wells
- Advanced Well Control
- Torque, Drag & Hydraulic
- HPHT Well Planning & Engineering
Real-time Drilling Optimisation
Our advanced THM modelling solution creates a dynamic, real-time picture of the entire wellbore by interfacing real-time data with advance drilling models. These models continuously assess drilling performance, borehole conditions, and associated risks based on real-time symptom detection. The delivered improved understanding of drilling operation enable operator to detect incipient drilling problems and take preventive action. The result is more consistent and more efficient drilling.
A unique real-time drilling optimization solution is based on DrillScene & DrillExpect Software. Sekal AS has developed, validated and delivered the software based services globally on 300 wells since 2011. Drill Insight has partnered with Sekal AS for delivering Real-time Drilling Optimisation Services (SaaS).
The solution creates a dynamic, real-time picture of the entire wellbore and key drilling variables/parameters at the time of drilling by interfacing real-time data (LWD/MWD, Mudlogging, Wireline and other rig floor analysis), along with G&G inputs of a prospect as pre-feed information, with advanced drilling models. These tightly coupled real-time dynamic models – hydraulic, mechanical and thermodynamic – simulate wellbore condition and characterise improvement or deterioration during drilling.
The THM tool simplifies real-time data analysis by using trends and deviations between modelled and actual data to monitor well bore condition and empower drilling team to anticipate & avoid issues such as poor hole cleaning, stuck pipe, lost circulation, gain, formation damage and borehole instability, underground blow out, Torque & Drag. That results in predicting issues, which leads to non-productive time (NPT) and invisible lost time (ILT) helps to keep your drilling plans on schedule and ensures effective cost control for every well by improving efficiency & safety and reducing risk & hazard.
The THM modelling tool also offer real-time modelling of key drilling variables such as hook load, surface torque, cuttings transport, pit volumes, standpipe pressure and dynamic ECD. It also calculates fluid temperature and density evolution, mechanical and hydraulic friction in the wellbore, all of which highlight changing wellbore conditions and potential problems.
It improves drilling operations by:
- Revealing changing conditions along the wellbore
- Simplifying real-time analysis and accelerating decision making
- Showing hole cleaning effectiveness as deviation between realistic modeled cuttings volume and measured pit volumn
- Detecting increased risk of stuck pipe and allowing corrective actions
- Ensuring safe and controlled drilling and tripping in narrow ECD windows
- Reducing invisible lost time by eliminating unnecessary wiper trips and minimizing hole cleaning time
The Real-time Dynamic Modeling of drilling operation fills the data gap behind the bit, enabling operators to assess crucial factors such as fluid volumes, fluid velocity, cuttings proportions, pressure, temperature, ECD and friction along the complete drillstring from bit to surface. This helps to identify the optimum conditions for each section being drilled.
Drill Insight offers real-time drilling optimisation services in collaboration with Sekal in form of SAAS (software as a service). We not only monitor the client’s operation from our RTOC but also provide the Drilling performance optimisation advisory services by providing experienced drilling advisor to clients.
More details : http://www.sekal.com/2016/drillscene/
Well Production Engineering
Drill Insight offers Well Production Engineering services in the form of dynamic well modelling of well operation and well integrity Assessment.
We provide Transient multiphase Flow simulation-based specialist engineering services to meet both field development plans as well as well completion workover and Intervention plan along with well operation integrity analysis. Our Well Completion & Commissioning Services provide efficient well operation insight with best of well Integrity assurance.
Dynamic Multiphase well operation simulation services to better plan well commissioning, well restart, well testing by simulating the multiphase wellbore condition. Our Services optimise the critical well operations like;
- Well Kick-off & Well Clean-up
- Start-up and shut-down of production
- Well Liquid loading:
- Well Testing: We specify the Subsea and surface processing equipment to achieve the objectives of the flow test.
- Well Performance Profile over lifecycle
Our Well Integrity Assurance services at the time of well operation phase simulate wellbore conditions keeping safety and asset integrity as the objective. We provide what-if analysis of critical operation scenarios with key equipment failure mode as well as root cause analysis of pass failure mode. This Analysis provides assurance level for futuristic unwanted possibility and provides a better provision to have safe operation maintaining asset integrity.
- Annulus Operation Integrity
- Well to Annulus Leakage
- What-if Analysis of Critical Well Operation Scenario
- Peer review to compare well design and activity program with well integrity standard
- Develop the Well test procedures
Our Well Integrity review covers assessment of risk, update of a risk register, identify gaps, align WIMP with the present state of well barrier to meet compliance requirements
Well Operation Optimisation
Prototyping the wellbore condition and well performance by dynamic modelling reveal the realistic picture of operation and performance which enable the operator to optimise well deliverable.
The transient simulation of the well is essential to better understand multiphase behaviour of well operation, analysis the possible Flow assurance issue, Optimise the well operation and to ensure the well integrity throughout the life of operation
- Well Flow Assurance Analysis
The Advanced Well simulation services address both hydraulics and thermal analysis of a range of well flow assurance concerns in great details in all phases of well operation covering the well’s life. The detailed analysis of flow problems results in an effective mitigation strategy to ensure optimum performance of the well over its life span.
- Hydrate & Wax Analysis
- Slugging Analysis
- Corrosion & Erosion Analysis
- Cool-down and Warm-up Transient Analysis
- Advanced Heat Transfer Analysis
- Optimise Standard Operating Procedure
Transient simulation of Well performance is essential to optimise the well operation. Our Well Performance Optimisation services covers;
- Artificial Lift Mechanism
- Gas Lift location and Flow Optimization
- Production optimisation from multiple Production Zones well
- Production optimisation from Multilateral Well
- Well Cross Flow
We develop a range of subsea development scenarios covering different subsea design options based on Flow assurance analysis. Our services will provide the first insight for concept screening, analysing the feasibility of potential concepts and in-house pre-feed design of Field development of selected concepts.
Drill Insight offers cost-effective high-fidelity insight of Field development Engineering covering following Flow Assurance aspects;
- Hydrodynamic Analysis
- Slug analysis & Liquid Management in a pipeline network
- Slug-catcher Sizing & Pigging
- Advanced Thermal Analysis
- Overpressure Protection Studies – Line pack
- Facility start-up after shutdown
- Solids Management (Wax, Hydrates)
- Corrosion/Erosion Analysis
Subsea Decommissioning & Well Plugging and Abandonment
We develop a comprehensive Subsea decommissioning plan covering both decommissioning of Subsea structures and Well Plugging & Abandonment.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to decommissioning and the options are influenced by a wide variety of factors including – in no particular order;
- Technical aspects
- Regulatory framework
- Execution alternatives
- Risk during execution and post abandonment
- Post-abandonment monitoring
- Stakeholders and their likely concern
We evaluate all above factors qualitative as well as quantitatively, wherever it requires. The culmination of a qualitative and a quantitative assessment provided the basis of the final decommissioning option.
We perform detail risk analysis of asset decommissioning with the aim of achieving ALARP (As Low As Reasonably Practicable) Level. We are well resourced to cover all aspects of the technical review of comparative assessment report in accordance with international, national and state regulations and guidelines. The assessment methodology will be to compare durations and costs with benchmark data, compare the assumptions against the local legislation, identify any technical challenges, recommend alternative approaches and opportunities if applicable.
Subsea Hardware Decommissioning: Our consultants have years of experience preparing and implementing Decommissioning risk assessments, documentation, and operations, from Christmas Trees (XT), valves, manifolds, pipelines, umbilical, and topside set-ups.
Well Plugging and Abandonment (P&A): We perform compliance verification to investigate gaps between company well integrity systems and regulatory policies. Drill Insight’s TMFS software simulate sustained annular pressures in transient multiphase environment of well prior to well P& A. Output parameters from simulation help our clients in keeping P&A costs low. Work scopes include;
- Conducting well integrity assessment prior to cessation of production and FPSO sail away, remaining well life determination, final abandonment design, intervention strategy and equipment requirements, well kill plans, rig vs vessel assessment, regulatory submissions, equipment requirements and long lead planning.
- Assessing Rigless P&A feasibility through the integration of platform structural modeling, live loading and equipment capability